Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Colors of Christmas #3

Red & Green

Today I will show you the traditional red & green - with a few other colors mixed in as well.

I always have a little tree in my dining room that is decorated with mini cookie cutters and gingerbread ornaments. These are some of my collection of cookie cutters. I know this isn't a great picture, but do you see that red-handled turner? I love that the holes are in the shape of a star.

I don't remember where or when I got these sweet little Rudolph tin. It is about 4 inches across. I'd love to know more about it. Is it considered a tart pan? A mini pie pan? Not sure, but I like it.

This locker basket is holding all of our Christmas books - some old and some new. Instead of the usual tree skirt I decided to use this old quilt. Actually, this is the back of the quilt. It is a green and red flannel. I think I paid $4 for the quilt at a yard sale. It is sort of a crazy quilt with some wool pieces. Unfortunately, at some time it was washed and dried and the wool shrunk. Even though the quilt is a little misshapen I still thought it was worth purchasing.
Well, this is actually red and teal again. Of course, I found these Shiny Brites at Goodwill. I collect Angels for my Sweet Girl, so I had to buy these. Then at another thrift store I found this vintage bun warmer (is that the right term? Sounds kinda funny). I didn't know what I was going to do with it until I noticed how well it matched the ornaments. Obviously not its intended use, but that is how I like things!
Thrift store again - a card of vintage jingle bells - all still attached!
Are you tired of seeing Shiny Brites yet? Why have I never even noticed these things until this year? Now I can't get enough of them.
Oh, sorry! I forgot I had more Shiny Brites to show you. I love my wire locker baskets - wonderful for so many things!
And last but not least - if you live in Arkansas you have to have a painted Okra Santa hanging on your tree. My oldest son made this last year in school.

Well, I guess that is all. I'd love to show you more, but you would get bored and I really don't have time. Tonight I think I will finish wrapping gifts. Tomorrow I have to do laundry and start packing. Family of five - 12 hour road trip - 10 days - a minivan full of luggage, gifts, snacks - not an easy task. And not a task I am looking forward to.

This likely will be my last post until the first of the year. We will be gone to KS and CO. I will miss blogging. Hopefully I will have some fun things to share when we get back. The kids are looking forward to sledding - something they don't get to do down here.

I hope you all have a very merry Christmas!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now why did you not tell me about the okra ornament when I had a bazillion of those things growing? Looks cute, will have to take a closer look.

Vickie said...

Vanessa,
I will be praying for ya'll on your Christmas journey!

I will miss your blog while you are gone.

Take care and have a blessed Christmas!
Vickie

Darla said...

Still enjoying your blog, Vanessa. Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and safe travels............

Julia said...

Have a very safe trip and a great time with family. Love all your blog posts lately!
Julia

Heidi said...

Vanessa, have a blessed Christmas! I loved the quick tour of your home, I love all things vintage, especially cookie cutters! I hope you have a fun trip, even though it's long! I've enjoyed your blog these last few weeks, and will miss you while you're away!

Corene said...

Love those holiday vignettes! I went on a shiny brite buying craze a few years ago (who can pass up 25 cents a box??) and now need to find a way to use them!! We did make a beautiful wreath by hot gluing some to a form, but the glue only held up for a year.
Hope you have a nice time on your trip!
Corene

ELLIE said...

Have a very safe and beautiful Christmas - I look forward to all your news and happenings...
Take lots of pics
Peace--Ellie

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, I enjoyed looking at your pictures - Merry Christmas!

Cathy Miller said...

Vanessa, I like your blog! AND, I'm from Arkansas, too! Yea! Another Arkie! Check out my blog at www.holidayhamlet.blogspot.com! I'm in central Arkansas, rooting for the Hogs on New Year's Day!!! Whoo pigs, soieee!!!

Mary said...

Hi there!
I just found your blog, and I wanted to tell you how much I love all your Christmas decorations. So vintage and so cute!!! Wishing you and your family a bright and happy new year!
xoxo,
Mary