Sunday, September 21, 2008

Life in the Slow Lane

So, I suppose I could tell you that I haven't blogged in a week because I have been so busy, but that wouldn't really be the truth. Oh, I've had things to do; places to go....but I haven't been swamped. Thankfully. I was thinking the other day how blessed our family is right now because we are not just running here and there all the time. It is "life in the slow lane" for us this fall.

Last year at this time we were juggling soccer, football, piano, hippotherapy.... Where we live now there is no youth soccer in the fall. There is football, but we opted not to do that. Our 11 year old didn't put up a fuss. I am disappointed about piano. We just haven't found a teacher for our 7 year old. Of course, we are still doing hippotherapy.

Wednesday is our "crazy" day. As soon as school is out the kids and I make a 45 minute drive so Sweet Girl can ride. After an hour we drive back to town and meet hubby somewhere for supper. There is no time to make it clear home because he has about 1/2 to eat before he goes back to campus for a meeting. Then I take the kids to church. Everyone is finally home by 8:30.


I can't imagine this schedule most every night. I know our day is coming as the boys get older and involved in school sports, band, etc. Right now we are enjoying the peaceful evenings at home. We don't even have cable tv. I love finding the boys in their room reading a book! Sometimes we sit on the porch or walk down the quiet, country road. We might end up stopping and visiting with the neighbors for an hour. Or the boys might get an invitation to go fishing and off they go to the pond. I was describing this all to a friend in an email lately and she replied that it sounded like "Mayberry."

I hope you all can have some Mayberry moments during your week. Enjoy them!

Before I go, I wanted to share some pictures. I walk on a walking trail through campus and Friday I took my camera along with me. The trail mostly goes through the university farm.



There are three cattle guards that I have to cross during my walk.

This is an old ampitheatre on campus.
I'll also show you some pictures of some fall flowers on my porch.
Pansies and kale in an old feeder.

This isn't a great photo, but I stuck these mums in an old wooden tool box. They aren't bloomed out much yet. I'll take another photo later. I also bought a huge mum that I have sitting on my front steps. It is going to be beautiful when it blooms. Stay tuned.

Once again, I have managed to do quite a long post. Guess that is what happens when I only post once a week.


{"The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live." I Timothy 2:1-3}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the verse you closed this blog with, esp. because LIPS met today. Mmmm, we miss you! The pansies and mums are beautiful!! You're way ahead of me in planting and decorating for fall. I just can't get motivated yet....or find the time to do anything about it if I was movitated! So glad you're enjoying your slow-paced life. Best kind of life to have.

Don and Dixie said...

Maybe we can get to a Mayberry life this week. Has been kind of hurried lately. Glad your life is not so hectic. Enjoy your walking again. Good to talk to you today.