Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Country Living Collectibles - Part I

Country Living recently published an article titled "Collectibles Under $10." It was a fun article to read because I have many of these items in my home. They featured 10 items "that can be scooped up for $10, or in many cases, much less."

Today I will show you the first three collectibles and then do the others in a future post.

#1 Pincushions
Okay, I really don't collect these. I just have some that I use.

#2 Skeleton Keys
It has been a long time since I have found any skeleton keys - affordable ones, anyway. I love them! When we lived in KS our house was almost 100 years old and some of the doors still had the old skeleton key locks.
I like to use the keys when I am creating. This project was in one of my very first blog posts.
And this project was for Valentine's Day.

#3 Wooden Rulers

Some collections are unintentional. Like these wooden rulers. I found a whole bundle of triangle-shaped rulers (what are they called?) at a garage sale and suddenly I had a collection.

I would love to find more of these folding rulers. I only have one right now, but am always on the lookout for them. They work great for holding pictures and I've also seen them shaped into stars and hung on the wall.

Well, that is the first three. What do you collect? It is fun to have something inexpensive to search for. Even when the budget is tight, a little $1-$2 "pick-me-up" is always nice.

{Good friend, take to heart what I'm telling you; collect my counsels and guard them with your life. Proverbs 2:1}

5 comments:

Don and Dixie said...

Seems like certain things just pop into your collections. May have some keys for you if I didn't already give them to you. Seems like the 3-sided rules were used prior to calculators in some advanced math. Remember my dad having a carpenter's rule (folding). Those people in the picture looked awfully young in 1962!

Sonja said...

Love Country Living Mag don't you?
I collect floaty pens, blue and white china (no pictures though), bird houses and birds to go with them, SILVER ware of all kinds,and we use them! Also, old kitchen utensils, and post cards people send me.
I think I collect more and don't evn know it! LOL

Corene said...

Right now I collect wool sweaters that look feltable, for my daughter's felt projects, and cloth napkins. Also, I can't pass up old trims and misc. that might work on a papercrafting weekend.

Jill said...

Gosh--collect lots. I recently picked up one of those folding rulers at an auction. I collect buttons, rolling pins, cameras, wood spools, the list goes on (NOTHING expensive) Amazing what inexpensive items will look great when grouped.

Linda said...

My collections have outgrown my house so I have become more selective (I hope). Books is my biggie. When I find a favorite author, I collect all of his or her books that I can find. I also collect teapots and have a LOT of them! I collect eagles and have a bunch of them too. I have a small collection of little flags from other countries I've visited and the countries of our foreign exchange daughters, etc. I have quite a collection of photo badges from my kids sports and activities. I have a small collection of Willow Tree angels. Then there is a small foreign coin collection that I started as a child. When I was a kid I had a postmark collection and it won grand prize in our school hobby show one year and I got a letter from the governor of Iowa for it. Then I have a big cookbook collection and a collection of country and handcraft magazines. See why I say my collections have outgrown my house? My husband has a pig collection and a collection of musical instruments and a collection of Hallmark Star Trek ornaments. My daughter also collects books and holiday Barbie dolls and Willow Tree angels. My boys collected sports cards, comic books, coins and toy farm machinery. We definitely have a full house. The other day I read on the internet that collections are a thing of the past. Not in this family they aren't!