Wednesday, January 30, 2008

These shoes....

...were made for walkin'. And they've been walking about an hour a day since the beginning of December. It's not quite every day. Monday through Friday with some occasional missed days for appointments, subbing, sick kids, etc.

I had a physical in late November. I found out I was overweight (okay, I already knew that) and had high cholesterol. Way too high for a 34 year old. Obviously, part of that is a weight issue, but it is also heriditary. The doctor said he would give me three months to lower it or he would put me on medication.

I have a friend who I meet with each week for prayer. We decided to start walking together. It really has been wonderful. She is like a mentor to me. I still have young kids. Hers are out of the house and married. While I am raising my kids, she is taking care of aging parents. We are similar in some ways and different in others, but we have become close friends. The friendship started with our prayer group. The walking is just an added bonus. As we walk we share frustrations, struggles, joys, recipes, decorating ideas....You name it, we probably talk about it!

I don't yet if my cholesterol has been lowered. I do know that my heart has been strengthened by friendship.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

3 comments:

phil said...

You just keep walking (and talking), because I'd like to be married to you for at least another 50 years.

Anonymous said...

Such a cool comment from such a devoted husband and father! We love you!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Great verse to share--thanks! I love all of the C's. I might have to start a collection of L's.